About MEAJO | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions to authors | Online submission | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact | Login 
Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology
Users Online: 593   Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 21  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 291-295

Pattern of uveitis at a referral center in Iraq


Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Al-Mustansiriya University, Baghdad, Iraq

Correspondence Address:
Faiz I Al-Shakarchi
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Al-Mustansiriya University, Ibn Al-Haetham Teaching Eye Hospital, Baghdad
Iraq
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0974-9233.142263

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: To determine the etiologies of uveitis and the causes of visual loss in uveitis patients at a referral center in Baghdad, Iraq. Patients and Methods: A 4-year prospective study was performed at the uveitis clinic at Ibn Al-Haetham teaching eye hospital in Baghdad, Iraq. Referral cases of active uveitis were included. A complete ophthalmic examination was performed in all cases. If clinical picture did not indicate a specific etiology, patients were sent for a routine set of tests while ancillary tests were conducted when indicated. Results: Out of 318 patients included in this study, 236 patients (74.2%) had bilateral uveitis, and 212 patients (66.7%) had non-granulomatous uveitis. Posterior uveitis was recorded in 123 cases (38.7%) followed by panuveitis in 97 cases (30.5%), anterior uveitis in 78 cases (24.5%), and intermediate uveitis in 20 cases (6.3%). A diagnosis was established in 210 cases (66%) while etiology could not be determined in the remaining 108 cases (34%). Most common infectious causes were toxoplasmosis (13.8%) and presumed ocular tuberculosis (11.4%) while most common non-infectious causes were Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease (12.3%), Behηet's disease (8.2%), and pars planitis (5.7%). Out of 49 eyes with irreversible blindness, macular degenerations, or scars (46.9%) and optic nerve atrophy (34.7%) were the most important causes. Conclusion: At this referral center, toxoplasmosis and presumed ocular tuberculosis were the most common infectious causes of uveitis while Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease, Behηet's disease, and pars planitis were, in that order, the most common non-infectious causes. Macular degenerations or scars and optic nerve atrophy were the most important causes of irreversible blindness.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2184    
    Printed86    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded207    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 2    

Recommend this journal