About MEAJO | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions to authors | Online submission | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact | Login 
Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology
Users Online: 2535   Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 27  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 156-159

Prevalence of keratoconus in refractive surgery cases in Western India


1 Department of Cornea and Refractive Surgery, C. H. Nagri Eye Hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
2 Department of Refractive Surgery, C. H. Nagri Eye Hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
3 Department of Ophthalmology, AMC MET Medical College, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India

Correspondence Address:
Ms. Zalak Shah
Department of Refractive Surgery, C. H. Nagri Eye Hospital, Ahmedabad - 380 006, Gujarat
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/meajo.MEAJO_182_19

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: To report the prevalence of keratoconus (KCN) in patients presenting for refractive surgery in western India. METHODS: A cross-sectional, observational, retrospective study performed at a tertiary eye care center. A total of 2902 cases, aged 18–40 years who presented in the refractive surgery department between January 2014 and December 2018 were included. Records of all the included cases were reviewed. Patients showing KCN pattern on topography were noted and divided into KCN and KCN suspects. Annual and overall 5-year prevalence were calculated at 95% confidence interval (CI). Demographic details of KCN and non-KCN participants were compared. RESULTS: Of the 2902 cases, 25 (0.86%) had clinical KCN and 22 (0.76%) were KCN suspects. The combined 5-year prevalence of all these 47 KCN cases was 1.61% (95% CI: 1.15%-2.07%), with an annual prevalence range of 0.97%–2.43%. The mean age of non-KCN cases was 24.60 ± 4.91 years and KCN cases was 24.62 ± 5.37 years (P = 0.98). Among the KCN cases, there were more females (30; 63.83%), and the gender ratio was significantly different than non-KCN cases (P = 0.004). CONCLUSION: The prevalence of KCN in refractive surgery cases was 1.61% which is higher than those found in the western population and lower than those found in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia and Iran). Furthermore, topographic examination performed during the routine screening of patients for refractive surgery can be a useful tool to diagnose new cases of KCN in asymptomatic patients.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1671    
    Printed88    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded51    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal