About MEAJO | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions to authors | Online submission | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact | Login 
Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology
Users Online: 773   Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 28  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 123-130

Knowledge, attitude, and practice around diabetic eye disease among diabetic patients in Jazan Region, Saudi Arabia


1 Department of Ophthalmology, Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University, Dammam, Saudi Arabi
2 Department of Ophthalmology, King Khalid University, Abha, Saudi Arabi
3 Department of Medicine, Armed Forces Hospital, Jazan, Saudi Arabi
4 Department of Emergency Medicine, King Fahad Central Hospital, Jazan, Saudi Arabi
5 Department of Ophthalmology, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabi
6 Department of Family medicine, King Fahad Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabi
7 Department of Ophthalmology, Prince Mohammed Bin Nasser Hospital, Jazan, Saudi Arabi
8 Department of Pediatrics, King Fahad Central Hospital, Jazan, Saudi Arabi

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Wael Otaif
Department of Ophthalmology, King Khalid University, PO Box 960, Abha 62529

Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0974-9233.326671

Rights and Permissions

PURPOSE: This study aims to assess knowledge, attitude, and practice (KAP) around diabetic eye disease in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM) attending primary health-care centers (PHCCs) in Jazan region, Saudi Arabia. METHODS: All diabetic patients attending eight PHCCs in Jazan region between December 2018 and December 2019 were invited to participate in this cross-sectional study. Face-to-face interviews were held to gather responses to a validated 20-item questionnaire. RESULTS: In total, 293 patients aged 9–90 years (mean 50 years, standard deviation 14 years) agreed to participate, including 189 (64.5%) females and 104 (35.5%) males. Most (n = 251; 85.7%) had type 2 DM, the remainder (42; 14.3%) having type 1 DM. The mean duration of DM was 8.2 ± 6.4 years. Eye complications were self-reported by 114 (38.9%) participants. More than one-third (36.2%) of the participants had never undergone an eye examination. Less than one-third of participants (29% and 28% respectively) had an excellent level of knowledge or practice about diabetic eye disease, and only 12% demonstrated very positive attitude. KAP levels were independently predicted by patients' age, gender, and eye complication status. CONCLUSION: KAP relating to eye disease and eye care among Saudi patients with DM were less than desired. Rigorous efforts are required to raise awareness of eye complications among diabetic patients.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed669    
    Printed66    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded51    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal